Once upon a time, I couldn't wait to be 18. Before I knew it, nearly three decades had passed. This is me, being me, with all that being me entails.

03 June 2010

I'm bound to tick people off, no matter what I say...

That's just the way I am sometimes. I speak my mind. A lot of times, I get flak for what comes out of my mouth. Sometimes it's deserved, sometimes not.

I read the news, so I'm not totally clueless as to what's going on in the world. I'm not quite a news junkie, but I am informed. I have several news organizations that I read regularly, both on my laptop at home and my phone.

I'm passionate about things that interest me. I've always been this way. When people are treated unfairly, it makes me mad. When people mistreat animals, it makes me mad. And sometimes, I wish there was more I could do to make things right.

I started reading newspapers when I was still quite young. My parents subscribed to a couple of papers: the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register. The Register, especially, was and still is very conservative. I grew up in Orange County, California, which is the hot bed of conservatism. My exposure to this POV shaped my early political views. Then I moved out of California and discovered other points of view.

It's these views that I now hold. And it pisses people off that I am so vocal about it. Not to the point of my friend, Johanna (see her blog here), but vocal nonetheless.

I don't expect everyone who reads this blog to agree with everything I write here. One of my favorite sayings is one from Voltaire: I do not agree with what you're saying, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

Ain't free speech grand?

4 comments:

  1. i like your style of writing. your personality is very evident in it. i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with speaking your mind! I'm the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freedom of speech is a right, freedom from being offended is not. Speak up!

    Oh, and the quote is not Voltaire, but Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing his view on life. I only know that because it is also one of my favorite quotes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Andy-- thanks for the info about the quote. Originally I was told it was Thomas Jefferson (but he paraphrased everyone, it seemed).

    Oh and I speak up plenty. I always have. It drives my mother insane! Proper young ladies weren't supposed to have opinions... but I've never been a "proper" anybody...I've always been me.

    ReplyDelete