Once upon a time, I couldn't wait to be 18. Before I knew it, nearly three decades had passed. This is me, being me, with all that being me entails.

22 June 2010

Congrats! You just became the mayor of...

I use this little app called Foursquare that follows me wherever I go (and I remember to update my location). It's a neat little thing, but then you become the mayor of someplace you've been to all of twice.

Like Pops in Arcadia, for example.

The first time I went to Pops, it was a few days after my birthday in February. It's where I wanted to go for the family party. I checked in with Foursquare and thought nothing more of it.

A couple of weeks later, Daniel (Number 1 Son) and I went after our respective classes, and again, I checked in with Foursquare. But this time, I found out I was now the "mayor" of Pops in Arcadia! And as far as I know, I'm still the mayor of Pops.

I haven't been back since that trip with Daniel, either.

If you check in at home, you become mayor of your house. Like "duh"? So I am the mayor of what I have called "Casa de Pera" (House of Pears). Of course you're going to be the mayor of where you live! I usually just check in, then "go off the grid" while I'm there. No one needs to know I named my apartment's location Casa de Pera.

So, I'm the mayor of quite a few places, and sometimes, someone checks in more often than I do and "steals" the title of mayor from me ("Sally B. has stolen the mayorship of IHOP from you" or something like that). Most of the time, I don't care. I don't go to IHOP that much.

I thought it was funny when I became the mayor of the Walmart Supercenter near where my friend Charles lives in NW OKC. I'd been there maybe three times. I soon lost the title to someone else. Charles has no clue about social networking, and could really care less about the internet in general, so he doesn't know why I thought becoming, then losing the title of, mayor of the Walmart he usually goes to was so freakin' hilarious!

BTW, I'm also the mayor of the Comm Bldg... but if you are on Foursquare and want to steal it from me, you're more than welcome to it!

7 comments:

  1. hahaha!!! That is SO funny!! I think i'd be the mayer of Target for sure!!! haha doesn't help that I live walking distance from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh foursquare. I am trying to get the hang of it but when no else I know does it, it is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be the mayor of Dynasty. So I guess I'd be the emperor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm i might be up for the challenge... ha ha jk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. Another pointless, but fun, app to kill my time. *signs up* :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to be major of, now where does Posh Spice live?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny story I was thinking about this post yesterday because I read it during class then for lunch my friend and I went to Chili's and I checked in and became the MAYOR!!!! HAHAHA my first one.

    ReplyDelete