Once upon a time, I couldn't wait to be 18. Before I knew it, nearly three decades had passed. This is me, being me, with all that being me entails.

21 June 2010

David Rhea visits the "kids" at UCO

On Monday, David Rhea came to speak to our class about the future of media and how blogging, social networking and video and audio editing skills fit into this.

Rhea was a print journalist for several years, but is now doing digital media for the Journal Record, a local business newspaper.

It's not a degree that will get you a job, Rhea says, it's what skills you have. If you can manipulate sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Blogger; and like to tell stories not only with the written word, but with audio and/or video to back it up, then more than likely you will get a position with media outlets, public relations and advertising firms.

Breaking news easier in digital media than in print. A story in the paper could be a breaking story at the time it was printed, but if it's an ongoing story, then a newspaper's online presence can continuously update that story until its conclusion... or at least until the first televised newscast of the day. Before digital media, a story could be printed in the paper, but you'd have to wait until either a morning radio newscast, or until Channels 4,5 and 9 came on in the afternoon. Digital media is clearly the wave of the future of news, not just in the Oklahoma City market, but nationwide.


The future is here folks! Hone your skills now... you'll definitely need them later on down the road.

4 comments:

  1. excellent post..sad I missed the speaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome writting!! I love "hone your skills now". Great verb. Sad I missed the speaker and had to have my arm cut open instead...hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your fancy words, your writing skill are exceptional!

    ReplyDelete